Property Search

Place Farm, Kilbirnie KA25 7LH Lot 1

Place Farm, Kilbirnie KA25 7LH

OFFERS OVER £395,000 | Ayr | Farm | 4 bedrooms

Place Farm is part of a former livestock farm extending to about 19.61 acres in total. The farm occupies a peaceful rural location within commuting distance of both Glasgow and Ayr. Place Farm offers an excellent opportunity to create an idyllic equestrian property.
The land rises from 60 metres above sea level to a high point of 100 metres at the field adjacent to the A760 included in Lot 2.
The land is predominately classified as Grade 3(1) by the James Hutton Institute.
The farm is available as a whole or in 2 lots.

 

Lot 1
Lot 1 comprises the farmhouse, outbuildings, the ruin of Kilbirnie Castle and 17.64 acres of woodland and grazing land.
The 4-bedroom farmhouse includes kitchen, dining room and sitting room with classical features such as wash basins in 3 of the bedrooms and working fireplaces downstairs.
The house adjoins a byre which is currently used for general purpose storage and is in excellent condition. This is a large space which would suit a variety of uses. There is a small lean-to attached to the end of the byre, currently used as a car port.
Opposite the byre is a stone-built barn with pitched roof and sliding door which is ideal for machinery and tool storage as well as a range of other uses.
A further three buildings are included in Lot 1, a Dutch barn, a pole barn, and a peak ridged shed with a lean-to, all suitable for a variety of uses.
Situated to the south of the buildings is the ruin of Kilbirnie Castle and mansion house. Originally built in 1470 the substantial defensive tower was built for Malcolm Crawfurd and his wife, Marjory Barclay, an heiress and the last of her line. In 1627, a more comfortable dwelling with no defensive features was added on to the original keep. This mansion, built at right angles to the keep using rubble facing and dressed with sandstone ashlars, was described as a fine specimen of 17th -century architecture. The buildings were destroyed by fire in 1757 and never re-built.
A particular feature of the original castle and mansion house is the ‘Grand Avenue’ that approaches from the south. This avenue measures 25 metres wide and is an impressive 378 metres long.
The land comprises a mixture of woodland and grazing land, ideal for horses. All fields are fenced and stock proof.