Forestry, Woodland Management & Carbon
Are you are planning to plant new woodland for the first time, or looking to maximise timber revenue from felling farm shelterbelts or established forests?
We offer practical advice on all aspects of forestry and woodland management – right across Scotland and Northern England. Our in-house Forestry team has a hands-on approach and an extensive network of contractors, timber merchants and buyers to support you.
From planting to felling
We help clients establish new forests or woodlands, guiding them through the whole process, covering everything from an initial site survey, scheme designs, obtaining grant funding, planting, maintenance, felling licences and sales.
On assets ranging from small-scale farm woodlands to large-scale commercial forests we can help you with:
- Forest and woodland management plans
- Silvicultural management advice
- Felling Permission applications
- Appraisal of value and marketing of timber
- Setting up and monitoring of timber sale contracts and harvesting operations
- Valuation of woodland assets for a variety of purposes
- Advising on and carrying out sales of forests and woodlands both on and off-market
- Carbon – application and trading (to find out more: https://www.drrural.co.uk/2020/03/25/cash-for-carbon-new-woodlands-unlock-carbon-units/)
In addition, for those looking at potential planting schemes, we have a range of experience with the following: –
- Provide budget costings for undertaking planting operations
- Design planting schemes
- Submit grant applications
- Appoint and oversee contractors
- Provide valuation advice
- Undertake marketing and sales both on and off-market
Making money from your farm shelterbelts
Shelterbelts are now capable of generating an income, as well as providing a wind break. Trees planted in the 1970’s are now 50 years old and with improved timber prices, they are a crop worth harvesting. We have successfully supported farmers achieving good rates of return.
Read on to find out more: Article – when a shelter belt becomes a money belt
“Davidson & Robertson successfully managed our forest from initial inspection to selling over 5,000 tonnes of timber. Overall, the returns exceeded expectations and our objectives were met in full.”
G Priestman, Espershields Estate,
West Mains, Ingliston
Tel: 0131 449 6212
Fax: 0131 449 5249
Livestock Auction Mart
Tel: 01292 265 851
Castle Douglas Office
162 King Street
Tel: 01556 50 22 70
Fax: 01556 50 53 36
Lakeland Business Park
Tel: 01900 268 633
“Hopetoun Estates has had a long association with Davidson & Robertson, using their services over decades in a wide number of areas including contract farming advice. The firm has consistently provided a professional and practical service which delivers excellent results to the estate.”
Donald Noble, Chief Executive, Hopetoun Estates
STAY IN TOUCH
We occasionally send out industry news, information on local agricultural business opportunities and updates on our company. If you would like to receive these, please subscribe.