Job title: Director
Location: Ayr (and Castle Douglas)
Tel: 01292 265 851 (CD: 01556 502 270)
Professional background: Derek heads up our Ayr and Castle Douglas offices. He started working for D&R in 2009 as a consultant whilst continuing as Managing Partner of his family’s beef and sheep farm in Wigtownshire. In addition to hands-on farming experience, he has several academic qualifications including: a BSc(Hons) in Rural Land Management from the Royal Agricultural College, a Masters of Business Administration from Cranfield University and a Post Graduate Diploma with Distinction in Organic Farming from the Scottish Agricultural College.
Derek gained Fellowship of the Central Association of Agricultural Valuers (CAAV) in 2014 receiving the President’s Prize for the highest mark in the Scottish CAAV exam. He is a member of SAAVA and Chairman of the South West Agricultural Valuers Association.
Outside of work: Derek is a keen road cyclist – and part of the Great Glen Challenge winning team, an Ex rugby player – now fan. Derek loves a big steak and glass of red wine; he keeps fit and volunteers for Ayr parkrun.
Key areas of work:
- Access negotiations for 3rd parties, including and Network Rail
- Commercial negotiations for renewable Energy projects
- Farm Business Consultancy including Whole Farm Reviews, Contract Farming Agreements and IACs
- Rural land and property Sales and Development
- Strategic infrastructure management for Scotland to Northern Ireland (gas) Pipeline
Specialises in the following services:
- Agricultural & Enviro Consultancy
- Communication Masts
- Compulsory Purchase
- Landlord & Tenant
- Planning & Development
- Sales & Lettings
- Strategic Business Consultancy
- Utility Claims